|South Lyon High School
Men's Cross Country
There Is No Substitute For Summer Miles
June 3 thru September 1
300 Mile Club
400 Mile Club
500 Mile Club
Summer Mileage Goals
Juniors & Seniors 400
Non Running activities can't make up more than 25% of your
weekly totals unless this is waived by coach Smith due to
Biking (constant) 3 miles = 1 mile
Treadmill 1 mile =1 mile
Elliptical or Zero Gravity 2 miles =1 mile
CONSTANT Lap Swimming 15 minutes = 1 mile
Water Running 140 heart rate 15 minutes - 1 mile
Other activities (walking, hiking, basketball practice, etc.) do not
count for miles because they typically do not raise the heart rate
for at least 20-30 minutes non stop.
If you are injured or on vacation, please contact Coach Smith to
waive the 25% restriction on cross training miles.
*100 Miles Submitted between June 1- July 27
Miles must be submitted within 6 days of each week's end.
*22 of 37 Group Running Practices June 18-Aug. 5
The completed 24/24 counts for 4 practices.
Non completed 24/24 counts for 2 practices.
*If you will be on trips this summer and can't make 22 practices by August 6,
you must have a plan in place with Coach Scott Smith by June 30. There is
no waiver for the mileage requirement.
|End of Year
Each athlete who completes the season successfully will receive
one or more of these awards.
1. Freshman or JV
3. Lion Hearted
1. Freshman or JV
A. Finishes the season successfully but does not qualify for varsity
options One or Two.
No more than 7 absences between August 15 and the end of the season.
No more than 2 group three absences: Athlete is removed from team
upon the 3rd.
2. Varsity Award 2017
To receive the varsity award for boys cross country, you must complete
OPTION ONE or OPTION TWO
1. Run one 5K CROSS COUNTRY Race under 18:00.
For each June, July, August weekly summer mileage submission sent
within six days of week's end, you can add 5 seconds to the 18:00
A valid mileage submission has at least 10 miles per week in June,
15 miles per week in July, and 20 in Aug. (19:00 if you submit 12 valid weeks).
2. Have NO Group III unexcused absences.
3. Attend all Mandatory Practices starting August 18 unless you are ill or
other group I or II absence. More than five days of combined group I
and/or II absence August 13 through November 2 will disqualify you from
a varsity award.
4. Attend all Meets unless you are ill or other category I absence.
5. Successful completion of the season.
6. Attend the state meet to cheer on any SLHS state qualifier.
OPTION TWO You must complete Option Two, parts 1,2, 3
1. Complete three years of cross country.
2. Submit 400 miles June 1 thru Aug 31 of that 3rd year
3. Complete numbers 2-6 from OPTION ONE above.
3. Lion-Hearted Award
The Lion Hearted athlete must meet all varsity requirements.
He will receive the Varsity award in addition to Lion-Hearted.
Requirements in addition to the Varsity requirements
1. Have NO group 2 or 3 absences.
2. Have fewer than 5 group 1 absences.
3. Run faster than VARSITY time
4. Run 400 miles from Memorial Day thru Labor Day.
5. Attends 22 of the 37 summer running practices (24/24 counts as 4)
6. Attends 10 of 12 Summer weight lifting practices
7. Attends 20 of approx 25 in-season weight sessions.
starting August 13th, 2018
Group One Excused—Does not need to be made up:
1. Absent from school all day due to illness.
2. Special one day Church Function (Confirmation Service)
3. Observance of a single Holy Day or Sabbath
4. School one day Performance (Concert or Competition)
5. Wedding or funeral in the immediate family.
6. Doctor visit directly related to a cross country injury.
Group Two Excused— But need to be made up:
1. Absent from school partial day due to illness. If you
do not attend school all day, you are ineligible to
participate in a meet or practice unless prearranged with
the athletic director.
2. Family Vacations (Please try to avoid these)
3. School project/make up test (must be approved by your
coach at least one day in advance—plan ahead)
4. Court Hearings
5. School Discipline
6. Doctor or Dentist appt. not directly related to an XC injury.
Group Three Unexcused—Need to be made up:
Athletes with any group 3 absence is NOT eligible for the
varsity award or the Lion Hearted award. Upon the 3rd Group
Three absence, the athlete will be asked to leave the team
and to return next year. No refunds or awards.
1. Employment absences
2. Driver’s Education/Secretary of State
3. Vacations/Amusement Park Trips except with his own
4. Any absence where Coach Smith is not notified in
advance by a parent e-mail of an eligible Group One or
Group Two absence.
5. Any Meet Day or Thursday absence except those in
6. Unexcused absence from any part of school day
7. Any Group II absence not made up within week.
8. Chronic Tardiness (5)
9. Missed bus to a meet (not eligible to run)
10. Any absence where an athlete went home ill after school
and missed practice. This can be converted to group II
at Coach Smith's discretion if a parent contacts Coach Smith
the same day and verifies the extreme and sudden illness.
The athlete will be ineligible to run the next meet or receive a varsity
award due to any Group Two absence not made up within the week
or any Group Three absence. The athlete is off of the team with the
3rd group three absence. No refunds will be issued or awards given.
Group two and three make ups are accomplished through
attendance at morning weights. (6 AM SLHS M,W, F). Although a
make up is required for both group two & three absences, this make
up does not make a group three absence excused.
The athlete will can have a maximum of 7 absences of any
kind during the season.
*Being absent from a meet counts as 2 absences.
*After 7 absences, the athlete will be asked to turn in his uniform
and return the following year. Extended absences of three days or
more EXCUSED BY A DOCTOR will not be counted against the 7
day total. No refunds or awards will be given.
Injured athletes are expected to attend practices and meets unless
the injury will remove the athlete from activity for an extended period
of time. This needs to be discussed with Coach Smith.
Family vacations during Mandatory Practice Time are strongly
Vacations After August 13
1. Not eligible to run meets until an equal number of practices
have been attended after the athlete returns from vacation.
2. Not eligible to run meets until 2 weight sessions have been
attended for each practice missed. The weights sessions
occur after the absence.
3. Not eligible for the varsity award or captainship in that same year.
Note: If the athlete attends every meet but is not eligible to run one
because of Group II absences, he can still earn the varsity award IF
the vacation occurred before the start of the school year. He will be
expected to help with team needs (splits,photographing, results, etc).
4. Short trips (max 2 days) due to immediate family weddings and
funerals are exempt from the vacation policy if 2 day (funeral) or 14
day (wedding) advance notification is given to Coach Smith.
5. If an athlete is not allowed to run a meet due to vacation
absences, he is still required to attend to take splits and
photographs. He will have a workout before the meet begins.
6. First year athletes are encouraged to also avoid vacations after
August 13. However, some leniency will be shown to first year
|Awards for 2018
A. Season Academic Award (Mr. Teagan will set the check date)
B. Lakes Valley Conference Scholar Athlete Award
C. 4.0 Marking Period Award
2. Freshman, JV, Varsity, or Lion-Hearted
A. Freshman or JV Certificate
B. Varsity (Letter; Certificate; 2nd, 3rd, 4th Varsity)
C. Lion Hearted
3. Special Awards
A. MVP (based on stats)
C. Mileage Clubs (must turn in miles weekly)
D. Most Improved
E. Last Man Standing
F. Most Generous
G. Best Underclass Leadership (VARSITY senior class vote)
Note: If the Best Underclass Leadership recipient also
1. received the Lion Hearted Award
2. is a junior,
he will be named the first captain of the next season.
He will meet with Coach Smith shortly after the banquet to
discuss additional terms.
H. Perfect Attendance
I. Iron Horse (Completed all races including time trial)
Vlad Schnitzel 3rd time!
Haden Gallentine 2nd time!
Brendon Stec 1st time!
Val Schnitzel 4th time!
Vlad Schnitzel 2nd time!
Val Schnitzel 3rd time!
Marshall Thelen 4th time!
Val Schnitzel 2nd time!
|Athletes must submit
miles within 7 days of
week's end to get
credit for that week's
June 18 thru November 2
Our mission statement dictates that
we strive to become a family of brothers
engaged in a common purpose. To that
end, it is essential that we always act in
such a way to protect and nurture our
team and our team mates.
1. Social media must be used very carefully (or not used).
A. Do not post pictures or video of team members without
B. Do not post pictures of team activities without Coach's
C. Complaints must be handled like men of character, not like
critics hiding behind a keyboard. NEVER engage in
negative group texts or other social media postings that
involve the team, its members, its coach, its parents,
or its competitiors.
D. NEVER post anything that will embarass yourself, your
friends, your family, your team, or your school.
E. First offense: One week suspension off team. Serious
infractions will result in permanent removal
Second offense: Permanent removal from the team.
2. Absolutely no use of alcohol or drugs including tobacco or
vapes. First offense: Notification of the athletic department
and REMOVAL from the team.
3. No slacking or walking. Team members must always strive
to have a quality practice. Slacking off hurts team comaraderie.
If a time is assigned to a run, the athlete must make every
attempt to hit that time.
First offense: Meeting with coach.
Second offense: Meeting with coach and captains.
Third offense: Missed Meet
Fourth offense: One week suspension from the team
Fifth offense: Removal from the team.
4. No use of foul language, sexual innuendo, or racial slurs.
First offense: Meeting with coach.
Second offense: Meeting with coach and captains.
Third Offense: One or more of the folowing at coach's discretion:
Meeting with parents
Meeting with athletic director
Two meet suspension.
One week suspension from team.
Removal from the team.
**Display good sportsmanship.
**Behave like a gentleman.
**Say Please & Thank You.
**Pick up after yourself.
* *Volunteer with the group needs.
**Show respect to team mates
**Show awelcoming attitude to new members
**Follow directives of captains and coaches unless illegal or
in violation of school/athletic code of conduct.
6. Never: Put yourself before the team.
Bring shame to yourself or the team.
Complain about running.
Disrespect your team, its members, and its leaders.
Use your parent as your servant. Be self reliant.